It’s not every day that you’ll receive a referral for an adult with Down syndrome or CP. So, what do you do when that day comes? If you’re not familiar with working with adults with developmental disabilities, you’re certainly not alone and you definitely don’t want to miss this conversation!
In episode 221 of SYP, I have the privilege of talking with Jen Biener, M.S., CCC-SLP about the adults with developmental disabilities population that she is so incredibly passionate about. Jen brings a wealth of knowledge and experience to this conversation as she has served this under-served and under-researched population so well for many years. Jen shares her experiences, areas in which this niche of the SLP field can grow, and how we can best serve this unique population.
Haven’t left a review yet? All you have to do is go to your podcast platform of choice and let us know what you think! Thanks for your support of this show! Your support is what keeps Swallow Your Pride coming back with new episodes each week.
In this episode, you’ll hear:
• Jen’s experience as an SLP who’s married to an SLP whose mother is also an SLP (Jen’s dad is a GI doc, to add another layer of fun to family conversations!)
• How working with adults with developmental disabilities is different from working with typically developed adults and developmentally delayed meds
• The best approach for working with this unique population
• Areas in which our field can continue to grow clinically and in research
• The REAL, long-lasting, widespread effects of NPO recommendations
As always, thanks for listening!