If the burn unit is uncharted territory for your SLP program, you’re not alone! Morgan Billinger, MS, CCC-SLP, and Lori Skinner, MS, CCC-SLP are back for episode 219 to change that! These powerhouse SLPs attended a burn symposium that sparked the creation of a burn protocol for their facility that changed the game for their patients. Morgan and Lori share the historical role of the SLP in the burn population and how they created a protocol from their clinical experience, collaboration with PT/OT colleagues, and applying research.
You’ll get a deep dive into their assessment protocols, including specific measures that are invaluable, and unique to the burn population. They also share how working with other populations, like HNC and Parkinson’s, contributed to their protocol. We’re witnessing hard work and dedication from these two women that is changing our field!
Make sure you catch Part 1 of this conversation in episode 218 if you haven't already!
Haven’t left a review yet? All you have to do is go to your podcast platform of choice and let us know what you think! Thanks for your support of this show! Your support is what keeps Swallow Your Pride coming back with new episodes each week.
In this episode, you’ll learn about:
* How working with other populations, like HNC and Parkinson’s, contributed to their protocol
* The vital interdisciplinary approach to get the best outcomes for these patients
* Justification for SLP services in this population
* Getting creative in therapy to improve outcomes
* The different lenses through which each player on the interdisciplinary team sees the patient
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Spotify | Amazon Music | Android | Pandora | iHeartRadio | Stitcher | Email | RSS | More